Wednesday, April 30, 2008

My Life Under the Desk


While this picture is old (or at least shows me in my younger years), it represents how my days are spent when I am a "working dog" hanging out under my mom's desk at school. It's not all I do, but lets just say, I don't have free rein in the classroom.

I read with students, which is fun, but does require me lying down; I wander around following my mom doing errands, teaching, and visiting the copy machine; and on occasion, I sniff around the room and eventually snuggle up by some student's feet and fall asleep.

But there are times during the day when sleeping under my mom's desk is exactly what I need. No one accidentally steps on my tail, I don't fall victim to dropped goodies -- cookies, candy, or colored pencils -- and frankly, in-line with my innate nature to seek out caves like my wolf ancestors, I get to feel more comfortable with a roof over my head.

It's an exhausting life really, though no one has any sympathy for me since I am surrounded by girls who pet me incessantly or play tug with me when I'm bored or find my ball when I nose it under the file cabinets. Still think about it for a minute: This is my pack and I must stay diligent in protecting them from intruders. Some of the "flock" stray and I must alert the "authorities" that someone is lagging behind or racing ahead. Running in the halls, screaming with delight, and even the occasional argument all need my attention.

And I am attentive. So attentive, in fact, that after a full day at school, I am bushed. Completely. Totally. Bushed.

No comments: