Wednesday, September 3, 2008

On the first day

On the first day my mom didn't teach, she took me for a walk. It was a short one, but it was at the park where all the squirrels tease and chatter at me.

On the first day my mom didn't teach, she cleaned the house. I was banished to the back yard, but my friend Monty was visiting me so I passed the time playing chase with him. Meanwhile, mom went at it -- dusting, sweeping, vacuuming, scrubbing. We were only allowed to come in after she'd placed the rugs back on the floor and then she wiped our feet off since they were wet from the lawn.

On the first day my mom didn't teach, she sat at the computer and wrote. This is good, I think because it is the reason she decided not to teach anymore -- more room for writing.

On the first day my mom didn't teach, she decided to take us both (me and Monty) for a long walk by the lake. We were tired from chasing each other, but we were still game to go. There is sunshine today and from my vast experience as an 18 month old dog, I know the weather will change soon and these long, warm walks will be a thing of the past.

On the first day my mom didn't teach, she packed up all the things that needed to get mailed -- returns, gifts for foreign relatives, bills, etc. She did some laundry and made some pasta sauce. She listened to music and even resolved to go for a swim later in the afternoon. That may or may not happen, but she's thinking about it. She gave cookies she baked yesterday to the neighbor and piled up the paid bills that needed to get filed. She hung up coats that had gathered on the backs of chairs and even took a brief nap, though her original intent was to finish reading her book (that will have to wait until later).

It's a busy day, this first day of not teaching.

I wonder what tomorrow will bring?

No comments: