Thursday, May 3, 2007

"On"

"Off"

I do not like being left alone. I am a pack animal. I need my pack to make me feel safe and secure and not alone. When my pack leaves, it matters not the number of chew toys or stuffed hippos they leave in my pen, alone is alone.
And so I howl. Tip my chin straight up and hold a growly C sharp. Like a wolf. Like a coyote alone on the Plains. And then I yip and yap and toss my bottom around in a circle, stamping my paws in protestations.
And then I growl. I stretch out my front legs, raise my tail in the air and growl, snapping my head back and forth, ready to bite.
But none of this works for my pack has left me. So I curl up into a little ball and whimper until I fall asleep.
I do not like being alone.
I like it best when my pack comes home and we play.
We play--
--chase the ball down the hall
--find the treat in the rubber toy
--chase the raccoon tail across the carpet
--bite the hippo
--bite the toes (until I get scolded)
--bite my own tail
--squeak the squeaky toys
--leap over legs
--sit and down for treats
And then I curl up in my bed and rest. My left arm gently bouncing to the rhythm of my own heartbeat. I dream and squeak softly remembering all the play.
I do not like being alone.



No comments: