Friday, October 30, 2009

How to Relax

We have a nightly ritual. Gretchen puts me on my back and rubs my belly. I fall asleep and sigh heavily. My back legs relax and my front legs go limp. I can lie like this for hours.

I only wish I could offer the same to Gretchen. She's a worrier and since I'm her dog, I must worry right along with her. I know she doesn't want me to worry, but I feel her energy and then that energy becomes mine, too.

Ann is not a worrier. If I spent as much time with Ann as I do with Gretchen, I would not be a worrying dog.

But my days are spent with Gretchen. I love it, of course. I love both my moms, of course. Really. When Ann comes home, I wiggle my way too her and then flop down at her feet. Wherever she sits, I sit right next to her. I feel like I owe it to her. I mean, she doesn't get to be with me every day and I know she misses me as much as I miss her.

But Gretchen's the one who gives me a massage and I like that very much. I just wish I could do the same for her. I wish I could say, "Here, look. This is how you relax."

No comments: