Monday, July 7, 2008

On the farm

We had a busy weekend. They call it the Fourth of July and while I've lived through one before, I can't quite remember it. This one I will remember. Not because I got to see the fireworks that were thankfully far, far away, but because I got to see my relatives -- my aunt, uncle, and cousins -- down on their farm.

We did many things, but among my favorites were these:

1. Playing with Ringo. While Hope is also my cousin (and Lindsey, too), Ringo is, by far, the coolest cousin. He chased me around the yard, through the garden, and helped me cough up as much dusty dirt as I could. He even taught me how to jump on juniper bushes to hunt down squirrels. It was a blast.

2) Hanging out with my Aunt Patti and Uncle Paul. We went every where together and when they weren't around, I went searching for them. Below is a picture of me with them at the local Farmer's Market. It was cool to hang out with them because they bought me things -- like fresh jerky -- and let me rub up against them for lots and lots of pets. We also went to their friends' house and I got to play with Ramsey, a big bad boy of a dog. He makes me look like a gem of a puppy. We chased each other and played fetch by the vineyard.


3) The food tastes better. I know it's just my food, but sometimes Aunt Patti would sneak in Ringo's food and that was the best ever. Ringo eats really fast, but they make sure he doesn't hoover mine like he hoovers his. I'm a more delicate and particular eater, but since Ringo is older, he doesn't really listen to my way of doing things. Still, the food tastes homemade and fresh. It must be the farm air.

4) Playing farmer. Okay, I didn't get to go on the tractor, but I got to sit in the bucket (above phot0) and pose with my moms who DID get to drive the tractor. It was cool to watch, though it made me nervous and I whined a bit.

5) The cat, Simon. Simon likes to hang out under the cars parked in the driveway. And I like to sniff him out and chase around the car like a madman. This doesn't please the family, but sometimes a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do. Instincts are hard to fight. But Simon's cool. He only hissed at me and try as I might, I couldn't get him to run, which would have been even more fun. If I got too close, he swatted a big old paw at me, but I howled like I'd been hit by a truck and that sent every human into immediate action. Nary a scar on me, I could get everyone to chase me around the car while I barked and woofed and whined for Simon to just run...even a little bit. But no go. Still, Simon's a cool dude

We had a fun time this Fourth of July. It's always is a good time for me when I get to hang out with family. This city dog loves to play country pooch whenever he can. Of course, I had to get a brushing and a bath when I got home, but still it was worth every moment!

No comments: