Friday, October 10, 2008

A New Job

It appears, with this economic down turn, I must be employed. Another wage earner is needed as my family investments tank. Alas, it's a difficult job, but I have never been one to shirk my pack duties, so I now have a day job. I am a dog walker. I am, rather, a dog dog walker. I am a dog, walking other dogs. I am the toy that all dog clients are allowed to harass, bully, cajole, and irritate.

I do what I can.

Above is a photo of one of our new clients. Look carefully because, if you'll notice, he has a tendency to take flight. Nothing seems to inspire this leaping; it appears to be spontaneous and random. For instance, when this blast of airborne spontaneity hit Ollie (the said client), we were engaging in a rousing came of chase -- he chasing me. Without any provocation from me, he launched himself just as mom was snapping the photograph. Earlier, as we walked around the neighborhood on our leashes, he leaped with abandon sporadically. It was as if his feet were springs and the unknown push of a button sent him soaring. And just as quickly, he'd be walking as if nothing had happened.

Ollie is, like me, a Labradoodle, but he is what's known as a miniature Labradoodle, his poodle side being slightly smaller than my own. Despite his apparent rambunctious dog-a-nality, he is quite good on the leash, walking by my side with a slight bounce to his step and the occasional unprovoked leap of apparent delight.

Contrary to Ollie's leash manners, there is Lucy, the Boston terrier mix who is a walking fashion statement.

This is another lucky portrait of the three of us being relatively calm and patient. Lucy is in the middle in her stylish red coat looking surprisingly calm. Lucy is anything but calm. On our walks, she is out front pulling her leash to its very end. Her ears, erect and large, act as the neighborhood satellite dish catching the sound of squirrels as they brave the leap from bush to tree or tree to lawn. Lucy rarely sleeps. She is busy busy busy and while I feel compelled to help out my family by taking on a new job when needed, Lucy is always looking for work even when there is none to be found. I must be called to service. Lucy volunteers.

At this point, my work is limited to these two clients, but I have a feeling it's about to get busier. Mom is working on her business plan complete with business cards, an official license, fliers, and a strategy to post her availability at every local pet store. She's even talked about placing her business card at the doors of people who she knows have dogs who spend their days alone.

The benefits to me are turning out to be quite nice. I get more walks in a day than ever before. I get to eat more snacks during the day and I get to spend time with my mom out in the smells of the world. Yesterday was my first day on the job and last night I slept mightly. For these younger dogs I must be a good role model and for the older ones, I must temper my exhuberance. This can be exhausting, but I am ready for the challenge.

Anything to help my pack is worth the effort. I do what I can.

1 comment:

Rebel said...

Love your blog! Thanks for sharing your adventures with the world :)

Rebs