Thursday, October 30, 2008

Tinkerbell

I am tired again this morning. I played with Monty yesterday and then at night, I went to Ben's house where I played with Ben and his cousin, Bailey. I even went swimming. It was by accident. Ben's house has a pool in the backyard. I swim in it often during the warm summer months, but last night, as we raced and chased around the pool, it looked inviting, so I jumped in.

I didn't swim for long. But this morning, I am so tired I have yet to rise from my bed.

Yesterday was a great day. Here is my favorite photo of me and Monty.
We've just finished chasing each other around the yard and then, chased a squirrel as it raced above us on the grape arbor, and the sun was so beautiful -- it made the air around us orange with Autumn. When we saw the photo later, I asked Monty what that purple light was on his ear. He told me it was Tinkerbell.

"Whose Tinkerbell?" I asked.

"She's a fairy," Monty explained.

"What's a fairy?" I still have so much to learn.

"Well," he said, "Perhaps it's best explained how Tinkerbell explained it to Peter -- 'When the first baby laughed for the first time, the laugh broke into a thousand pieces, and they all went skipping about... that was the beginning of fairies.'"

I was going to ask who Peter was, but I didn't want to be more of a pest than I already was. "Why did Tinkerbell show up in the picture?" was my last question.

"Oh, she shows up to mark the happiest moments of your life," Monty explained.

Later, I read up on Tinkerbell and found out all about Peter Pan. A very nice story though there aren't any dogs in it. Oh well.

I liked this part the best, when Tinkerbell tells Peter, "You know that place between sleep and awake, the place where you can still remember dreaming? That's where I'll always love you."

That's how I feel -- about Monty, about my human family, about life in general.

And right now, I am exactly in that place between sleep and awake. The day has yet to start and when it does, there are jobs to complete -- dog walking top of the list.

But for now, I shall rest and twitch and sigh deeply and think of all the Tinkerbell moments I've had in my short life. Maybe, if I believe hard enough, she'll show up hovering around my head in my next photograph.

No comments: